A Simple & Affordable Everyday Makeup Routine
This is my go-to and affordable makeup routine for combination oily skin!
I remember being an awkward preteen, watching YouTube tutorials on how to apply makeup, and spending hours only to look like someone punched me in the face. We've all been there.
Makeup doesn't have to be as complicated as everyone makes it out to be.
There are a lot of products with high price points that are unnecessary to build a solid, everyday makeup routine. A well put together look is more affordable than people realize. Most of the products listed in my routine are drug-store products under $20, with exception of a couple of high end products. Below is an affordable, everyday routine for combination oily skin.
Brush Set & Make up Applicator - Wet n Wild's Essentials 17 Piece Brush Collection & The Original Beauty Blender
Using either a brush set or any other make up applicators depends on preference. I prefer to use a brush set to apply my eye make up and a beauty blender to apply my foundation.
- Moisturizer & Sunscreen - Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM SPF 30
I stand and die by this moisturizer with SPF. Although it may be thick in application and feels heavy on the face, the skincare benefits from the ingredient list is one of the best I've seen.
- Makeup Primer - Benefit The Pore Professional Matte Rescue
This Benefit Cosmetics makeup primer is one of the few products in my makeup routine that is not drugstore. I've used other drugstore primers and never found them to compare to this primer. My pores are nonexistent and my make up stays on for +12 hours.
- Foundation - Maybelline Fit Me! Matte Poreless Foundation
I've tested a range of foundations recommended for oily skin but always found myself returning to this one. My skin has discoloration from acne scarring and I don't find the need to use color corrector when using this foundation.
- Eyebrows - Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade & Dual-Ended Angle Brush
My eyebrows do not come off. Repeat. My eyebrows do not come off. I have worn this eyebrow pomade to the beach where I was repeatedly splashed by waves and it did not move once. You can substitute the eyebrow brush out for any other brush, but BH angled brush works easiest for me.
Eyeshadow - Morphe 3502 Second Nature Palette
This eye shadow palette has all the colors you need for a natural eye look. For $16, you get 39 colors ranging from black shades to pink shades. Tip: Use a dark shade in any eye shadow palette to draw in your eyeliner. This cuts out the unnecessary cost of an eyeliner.
- Bronzer - Physician's Formula Butter Bronzer
You don't need a whole contour set, just this bronzer will do. I use this bronzer to bring color to my face so I don't look like a pale ghost. What I love about this bronzer is that it looks extremely natural, as if my face is perfectly angled.
- Blush - Wet n Wild Color Icon Blush
This blush works and it looks natural. If you can't tell already, I love a natural look.
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream - Lip cream again gives my lips a natural finish.
Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm - Any lip balm works, but I prefer Burt's Bees because it works!
Here are a list of products I find unnecessary or optional in an everyday makeup routine.
- Color Corrector: Even with my scar damaged and hyper-pigmented skin, I find that using a color corrector makes no difference if you have a good foundation.
- Contour Kit: A good bronzer can replace a whole contour kit. I'm not a fan of putting on layers of product for the same results of using one product.
- Lip Liner: I've always used the lip cream or lipstick with a makeup
applicator to line my lips. Although having a matching color lip liner could make application easier, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to own.
- Setting Spray: A good primer does the job in regards to keeping my makeup on all day, so I don't find the need for a setting spray.
- Powder: With the same reasoning as a setting spray, I also don't find a need for a powder.
- Highlighter: Because my skin is oily, I don't like to have shine or glitter on my face.
- False Eyelashes & Mascara: As much as I love dramatic false lashes, I think it's fine to skip it for an everyday makeup look.
My routine only consists of 8 products (aside from the makeup applicators) and it works for me. These products are my personal recommendations and may not work for everyone.
Here is the final look for my everyday makeup routine.
What's your everyday makeup routine? I would love some recommendations for what products to try out!